One member of a family may be an addict, but the entire family suffers from addiction. Duke City Recovery Toolbox offers family therapy to help families cope with addiction and heal the broken trust and relationships between addicts and their loved ones.
The Purpose of Family Therapy
Families are motivated to seek therapy for different reasons, such as:
- The need to understand the addict’s behavior
- The need to vent their emotions about the addict’s behavior
- The desire to learn how to be supportive during the recovery process
- The desire to heal relationships damaged because of the addiction
Family therapy at Duke City Recovery Toolbox is tailored to meet your family’s needs. There is no agenda driving your sessions. Our therapists have experience working with families with or without the member with the addiction problem, so we can provide the emotional support you need.
What to Expect from Family Therapy
Your family determines the goals for therapy, and your therapist selects strategies based on those goals. There is no one-size-fits-all approach. However, all families can expect:
- A safe place to vent their feelings about the addict’s behavior
- The time and space to process the emotions that addiction in the family brings up
Addiction recovery participants and their families are never pressured to work together or mend relationships before they have both expressed readiness to do so.
Additional Resources for Healing Families
Healing a family broken by addiction is a tough road. Many find comfort and strength by turning to a Higher Power. Duke City Recovery Toolbox offers spiritual care for participants and their families through:
- Bible study
- Prayer groups
- Prayer requests
We respect all faith traditions and can integrate your religious traditions and spiritual practices into individual and family therapy if you wish.